From SAG Chicago President, Todd Hissong...
Alan Rosenberg
National President
Screen Actors Guild
5757 Wilshire Dr.
Los Angeles, CA 90036-3600
Mr. President:
I am writing to express my profound disappointment in your decision to fire Greg Hessinger without prior consultation of SAG legal staff and/or the elected leadership of the New York and Regional Branch Divisions. When I had the audacity to question your decision you demanded my trust, and in so doing redefined the word "gall."
When you telephoned me at home on the afternoon of September 4th, I trusted you when you claimed to have been misquoted in Backstage West. I trusted you when you said you were "ready, willing, and able to work with Greg Hessinger." I trusted you when you told me that your number one priority was to unite the rival factions of our Guild. Within the first 20 minutes of your first National Board meeting as our President, you violated my trust on all three counts. Trusting you further is not an option for me.
While we are discussing the concept of "trust," I am curious: How do you imagine SAG members can "trust" their union to enforce their contracts with their employers, when SAG itself violates its own contracts with its own staff with such alacrity? That a labor union would continually engage in this practice while proclaiming to work for the rights of its members is ludicrous to say the least.
Just the other day a compatriot of yours asked if I were willing to give the newly elected SAG leadership (you) "a chance." I replied with an intensity that surprised even me: "Of course I am. Not only that, but I will strive to make the stewardship of Alan Rosenberg the most successful in Guild history. To do any less would be a disservice to my members." It is now clear to me that attempting to protect my members' interests while aiding your administration are mutually exclusive agendas. In this new reality of drastically diminished expectations, I anticipate spending the majority of my time attempting to safeguard my members and my Guild from the further damage you and your cohorts so clearly intend to inflict.
Finally, I must admit to being deeply saddened. I had such high hopes for your tenure.
Most Regretfully,
Todd Hissong

<< Home